Miss Imperial is now a done deal.
Here are the entries
you might have missed over the past year.
Thanks for checking in, and if you're still looking for me,
try The Memory Aid.

24 November 2006

"If I should lose that one..."

Wendy and Rob at Sally and AP's Wedding, Rama, ON, 24-Sep-05

"My wings would melt
in the sun."

Last night, in honour of my American husband, I celebrated American Thanksgiving in Canada. I am definitely not a chef -- and honestly did quite a bit of what could be called "crafty" cooking for this meal, if one were feeling generous -- but I truly enjoyed preparing and plating the various dishes. I thought it would be nice to have a spinach salad with walnuts, diced plum tomatoes and a little blue cheese dressing; some roast turkey with gravy; cranberry sauce; stuffing with chopped cranberry; a pork loin with apple butter; mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and onion; and, of course, pumpkin pie. I spent the afternoon in the kitchen and was basically shocked at how much fun I was having in there. By the time I garnished the dishes with sliced pears, walnuts and a ground nutmeg-cinnamon blend, I was certainly proud of myself, but mostly amazed at how smoothly everything went. I was lucky!

I am lucky! I'm lucky because I'm able to indulge in my fondness for food; I'm lucky because I have someone beloved with whom to share the food. Yesterday evening was wonderful and satisfying in so many ways. Evenings like that are not a rarity in my life, and that is why I'm lucky. I should celebrate every day! For every day, I am thankful.


TRACK LISTING: Ben Watt, "Lucky One"

1 comment:

Simon Thibault said...

read m.f.k. fisher's "the gastronomical me".
best food authour out there. ever.