Miss Imperial is now a done deal.
Here are the entries
you might have missed over the past year.
Thanks for checking in, and if you're still looking for me,
try The Memory Aid.

15 November 2006

"Transfixed by the inner sound."

Lauren and Kevin, Toronto, ON, 29-Jul-06

"A spray of stars
hit the screen."


I have a small tube of a certain hand cream that always makes me feel like I'm fourteen again -- not because of its restorative properties, but because of its perfume. I'm not sure if it would be classified as fresh or floral; its fragrance can only really be described as "pink".

I know, and you know, that memory is closely tied to particular scents, but this is the first time that my sense of smell has catapulted me back to another decade. I remember so many details of that era, as clearly as if I was looking at a photograph or hearing an old friend's voice. The cream has stolen the exact notes of the Alberto Mousse Styling Foam I once used, and it places me back against the wall at the middle school graduation dance, waiting out a slow song and thinking about summer.


2 comments:

The Nutritionista said...

your blog is LOVELY, as are you

Brazen Design said...

I have this weird nostalgia memory scent that has haunted me every few years...it smells like... "barbie". It usually comes in the form of a cream or cosmetic. the intense memories of being six and dressing up barbies with my sister in my parent's basement is so intense...