Miss Imperial is now a done deal.
Here are the entries
you might have missed over the past year.
Thanks for checking in, and if you're still looking for me,
try The Memory Aid.

05 March 2007

"The chains are locked and tied across the door."

Sierra Vista Elementary School, Albuquerque, NM, 24-Dec-05

"Baby, sing with me
somehow."

Halfway through the film, beaten down by the sound of children screaming for their hands and feet and lives, I had to literally hide away.

PF turned it off but I was ashamed. I was heartbroken, too, bursting into tears. I had no idea what to do; yet I knew that the point was not to first comfort myself.

And if I feel so powerless, how do they feel?


TRACK LISTING: Neil Young, "Helpless"

2 comments:

SBP said...

I've never seen a film so shocking. What makes it so disturbing is the fact that it's based on true events. How can the world let children be subject to such chaos?

I will never forget it and I don't think I can get myself to watch it a second time.

Nirmala Basnayake said...

I didn't know it was based on a biography until after I stopped watching it, though of course there's a realness to the film that can only come from capturing the actual atmosphere of a favela. I was so ignorant! and anyway, I couldn't even make it through the film the first time, never mind a second viewing.