Miss Imperial is now a done deal.
Here are the entries
you might have missed over the past year.
Thanks for checking in, and if you're still looking for me,
try The Memory Aid.

13 November 2006

"We're gonna take 'em down! We're gonna take 'em down!"

Somewhere in the middle of Texas, 15-Mar-06

"We're gonna take 'em down
in numbers one by one!"

The first time I encountered My Super Sweet 16, it was being parodied on Saturday Night Live. Scarlett Johansson was doing an excellent impression of a rich teenager freaking out over minor birthday party glitches. ("This is worse than the HOLOCAUST!") It was funny because I figured it was all a joke. A TV program like this couldn't exist outside a sketch comedy series, right? Kids don't throw tantrums like this and get away with it in real life, do they?

I once saw part of an episode of MSS16 that revolved around two wealthy East Indian girls. I cringed -- oh, lord, not brown people, too -- like South Asians couldn't be spoiled. The younger one actually said "ewww" when she discovered that a purse she'd considered buying cost "only $275," and I heard the loud clicking of shame bearing down on an ENTIRE RACE.

I know I'm one of the people who's basically making the bed for shit like this, probably every time I hit E! Online. The curiosity is morbid, which reminds me of an Italian proverb that a man named Berard referenced in an A.V. Club blog comment: After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box. Anyone up for a class war?


No comments: