Miss Imperial is now a done deal.
Here are the entries
you might have missed over the past year.
Thanks for checking in, and if you're still looking for me,
try The Memory Aid.

29 May 2007

"Now I never wanna leave my apartment!"

In the Living Room, Toronto, ON, 31-May-07

"'Cause there's just so much
for me to see!"

Things we saw at home today:

The last gasp of cable.

It's true -- we cancelled our cable service. Not just the extra channels, either. THE WHOLE THING. It's antenna reception for us now!

For those who know me, the first reaction must be disbelief. I have been a television junkie since I was a toddler. I think I turned out alright, considering -- I mean, I certainly wasn't the most physically active child, but hey, my grades were good -- and I frequently left the country without needing to record all the programs I was missing while I was away. Still, as an adult, I often wondered what I might be doing with my time if I wasn't planted in front of the television, endlessly flipping channels. I would have liked to have read more books, maybe gone for more walks, or actually emerged from the house and what have you.

I'm hoping that I won't just spend my free time with the internets, staring at LOLpresidents and shit, but we'll see. Maybe I'll actually post a blog entry EACH DAY, as opposed to four days' backlog once a week. Who knows? We're kind of embarking on an experiment here.

Obviously, this is the easiest time of year to (literally) cut the cord. It's summer rerun time! The weather is nice and it's asking us if we wouldn't like to come to the park and kick around a soccer ball. We might do exactly that! I may not even miss television after all -- and besides, if I'm desperate, I can find a lot of shows on non-cable channels -- but you might want to check back with me when the new fall season rolls around and I'm having trouble bit-torrenting the garbage I want to stuff into my eyeballs.


TRACK LISTING: Weird Al Yankovic, "Cable TV"

3 comments:

Nirmala Basnayake said...

I'd still be reluctant to return to Rogers Cable, though.

Simon Thibault said...

as you should be.

I don't have cable. Haven't in years. if you want to watch TV, do what most of us do and watch it on your computer.

i still don't read as much as I wish I did.

Nirmala Basnayake said...

I don't know why I've never been into watching shows and movies on the computer. Maybe if I had a laptop I'd feel differently.

I haven't quite made the break from TV -- I'm watching more DVD movies on it, that's all! I suppose I won't be reading as much, either. And I was a total bookworm as a child, too (somehow managed to balance that with incessant TV watching)!